Graduate Student Evaluations
A subcommittee (the TA committee) from – and determined by – the Graduate Committee and the Gen Chem Coordinators evaluates all TAs:
- The OIR student evaluations of the TAs are part of the TA’s personnel files and are NOT available to the TA committee. TAs may submit, however, these evaluations to the TA committee on a strictly voluntary basis) e.g. to support a nomination for a TA award or appeal)
- A questionnaire with a comments section for the evaluation of the TAs by the students will be distributed with the OIR forms, these questionnaires are evaluated by the TA committee
- Student complaints
- Evaluation along criteria established by the instructor
- Detailed written comments about the TA’s performance in the evaluation sheets distributed at mid-term and the end of the semester are strongly recommended
- Assessment of the TA’s performance by the stockroom team along criteria developed by the stockroom team
- Assessment is forwarded to instructor for signature, who may forward it to the TA committee
Gen Chem Coordinators (where applicable)
- Administrative competence: punctuality, reliability, response to critique, etc.
- Preparation: lab, discussion, TA meetings, quizzes
- Subject competence (as judged by supervisors)
- Subject delivery: non-intimidating teaching environment, communication, pedagogy (e.g. building learning strategies, use of groups, etc.)
- Safety enforcement: own and student’s attire, goggles, fume hood use, chemical disposal, accident reports, etc.